Pages

.

Teaching

Above, detail of today's workshop demo, representing approximately an hours worth of work, mostly wet on wet, acrylics on panel, 11" x 14".

There's the adage that "those who can't teach," but I take issue with that. The best teachers I've had CAN and DO, and they articulate that, no matter how many times I (or my classmates) re-phrase the same question.

I'd like to think I'm working my way towards that category of Teachers Who Can. That some day, one of my students will be able to say that my techniques/approaches impacted them in a powerful way that didn't include therapy.

Meanwhile, I'm refining my teaching skills with an especially delightful group of painters on the western coast of Michigan. They are willing to try all sorts of things with their brushes during the day, and then in the evening, I retire to a Lake Michigan facing porch, sip my wine while listening to the tide, and forget about their tears.


And my own. Today's demo wasn't exactly the smoothest sailing. But it's important to be human and ultimately let my students know that the really good paintings take a little elbow grease. They don't just happen. I did a fantastic job of demonstrating thinking on my feet, being flexible to changes, and going with the flow. Those are valuable lessons, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment